Saturday 6 March 2010

26K/16.1 miles in Hyde Park

I had an amazing run this morning in my ongoing battle to survive the Brighton Marathon, which I am running in support of Cancer Research UK this year. For the first time - the first time! - it wasn't freezing cold or raining or both. I mean, which idiot decided April was a good time to hold marathons anyway; dawn run in January anyone?

No, I thought not.

Anyway, today I was taken aback by how packed Hyde Park was with fellow runners. Fair weather runners, snort. But it was absolutely beautiful - we are very lucky to have it on our doorstep. Its a 4.5 K run from my house in the Bush to the start of the park and then each circuit of the park is 6K. So three of them and the trip home, or almost anyway, now adds up to about 26K. I made it as far as the bus stop opposite the H&C tube this time.

The spring has really arrived, the park is full of snowdrops and daffodils, but sadly tourists and pidgeons too. But you have to take the rough with the smooth. If you dont make a habit of going there - try it out. And if you have kids like me there are numerous really good playgrounds that are completely free.

I've been covering rather a lot of politics on this blog recently because I think its really important to what sort of Bush we have for the next 5 years. But now we're entering the pleasanter months I'll also be carrying a lot more local info on what's going on like I did here and here last year. So look out for that - and here's hoping for a good summer.

On a sad note one of my sponsors has already succumbed to the disease I am trying to fight, and as many of you know I have just come back from the US for the same reason for someone else. Its a really worthwhile cause - I chose research deliberately because thats ultimately what will defeat this terrible disease. If you want to support in any way, no matter how small, please do so here. And once again thankyou to those readers who already have - it really helps.

Have a good week-end in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment